TRY YOUR HAND AT WELSH TRIVIAEasy Welsh Quiz!
Or at least deemed Easy
by the quiz creators...
See if you can answer any of theses hard questions from the North American Festival of Wales.
Light a Candle
February 2 is Gŵyl Fair y Canhwyllau (Mary's Festival of the Candles or Candlemas). It used to hold an important place in marking the change from winter to spring. Before the Reformation, it involved a cermony to bless the candles and distribute them to the people, who would carry them in a lighted procession. After the Reformation, the blessing was discontinued, but the practice of lighting candles was continued in various ways throughout Wales.
From Welsh Folk Customs, by Trevor M. Owen (1968): In Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire in 1915, "in one instance cited, every pane in "the small kitchen window was illuminated... and the practice was probably widespread."
"It was considered that on 2 February artificial light could be dispensed with. Henceforth the farm animals could be fed before dark."
"It is clear from the few Candlemas observances recorded in Wales that the lighted candle...had become (or perhaps reverted to) a secular symbol associated with the coming of spring."
The St. David's Society of Minnesota was formed to celebrate the heritage and culture of the Welsh immigrants to Minnesota. To these ends, St. David's Society members celebrate and cultivate all things Welsh - in literature, history, music, dance, art or ideas, traditional and contemporary.
Visit our What's On? page to learn more about how to participate.
- St. David's Day Banquet: Saturday, March 3 from 11:30 am to 3:00pm at the Radisson Hotel in Roseville. The big event of the year! We will be celebrating the work of Dilys Elwyn-Edwards, a Welsh composer who was born one hundred years ago. Singers from Sonomento, the Twin-Cities-based choir, will perform. They are traveling to Wales in the summer to compete in the 2018 International Eisteddfod. Registration Form (click to download)
- The January Newsletter is now available.
- Welsh Language and Conversation: Sunday, February 11 at 2:00pm at 2393 Bourne Ave., St. Paul. Direct questions to email@example.com.
- Pub Gathering: Sunday, February 18, from 4:00 - 6:30pm at Merlin's Rest Pub at 3601 E. Lake Street in Minneaplis. Join us in meeting up with new and long-time friends with Welsh interests and Celtic connections (along with a pint, a glass of wine and/or some good food).
- The Well-Read Dragons Book Club: Saturday, April 7 at 11:30 am at Davanni’s, 3673 Lexington Ave. N. in Arden Hills. Come to talk about Bred of Heaven by Jasper Rees. See more details and the list of books for discussion through August 2018 on the What's On page. Come even if you haven't read the book.
Visit the What's On? page for more details of all these events.